Journal for the Human Sciences and
Research Manuscript Includes an abstract and clearly defined sections of problem statement, methodology, data collection and analysis, findings, and concluding remarks. Although the specializations vary, the standard format of the body of the manuscript includes:
- Abstract This section summarizes, in an abbreviated way, all major parts of the manuscript.
- Introduction - This section describes the problem, reviews the literature, and states the objectives and hypotheses of the research.
- Method This section includes the research design, the sample, data collection, procedure, and approach to data analyses.
- Results This section presents the findings.
- Discussion This section discusses the findings and their significance (distinguishing between facts and speculation/interpretation), summarizes, and gives recommendations.
- References This section includes only the citations in the manuscript.
- Tables and Figures These are permissible but they should supplement, not duplicate, the text.
Research Paper Explores a topic, issue, or position to draw conclusions, make suggestions, and may propose hypotheses. This type of paper does not require research by the author but should address a problem or issue that will supplement or expand the literature. Although the specializations vary, the standard format of the body of the paper includes:
- Abstract This section summarizes, in an abbreviated way, all major parts of the paper.
- Introduction This section justifies the importance of the topic, issue, or position and describes the objectives of the paper.
- Discussion This section presents the literature review and draws conclusions.
- Summary This section reiterates the topic, issue, or position, gives recommendations, and may suggest hypotheses.
- References This section includes only the citations in the paper.
Research Reports Submissions in this category follow:
- Poster Session Report Includes (a) a written description which explains the research and (b) a digitized photograph of the Poster Board.
- PowerPoint Report Includes (a) a brief introduction, (b) slides, (c) written text to accompany slides, and (d) concluding comments.
- Creative Report dealing with design material Includes (a) a brief introduction, (b) strong textual and digitized photographs and supporting materials, and (c) concluding comments.
For further information, contact:
Lisa W. Booth, Kappa Omicron Nu
1749 Hamilton Road, Suite 106, Okemos, MI 48864
©2002-2016 All rights reserved by the Undergraduate Research Community.